Montessori Program in Surrey School District
The Surrey Montessori programs in the Surrey public school district are currently housed at Douglas Elementary (south), Latimer Road Elementary (east), and Mountainview Montessori (north).
District information Montessori (K-7) Education Services
The Montessori program is intended to develop self-directed students with a global vision.
In the Montessori classroom:
- There is a multi-age group in each class, ideally a three year age span, with 6-9 year olds grouped together and 9-12 year olds in another grouping. Wherever possible, students stay with the same teacher for three years.
- The program is individualized wherever practicable.
- An emphasis is placed on students progressing at their own rate.
- At the Primary level, the method is based on the use of self-correcting, concrete materials, which are devised to be used in a sequence matched to the child's level.
- Materials are limited so that children learn to share and help one another. There are large unbroken time spans for work, with a minimum of interruptions to disturb the student's concentration.
- The curriculum is designed to develop in the child a global view of mankind, stressing the interdependence of man and the care of the environment.
- There is an emphasis on the development of the child as a contributing member of the society, including a multicultural focus.
Surrey Montessori Society email: email@example.com
Douglas Elementary (Montessori Choice Program)
17325 2nd Ave., Surrey, BC
Ms. Sundeep Chohan, Principal
Latimer Road Elementary (Montessori Choice Program)
19233-60th Ave., Surrey, BC
Ms. Susan Yip, Principal
Mountainview Montessori (Montessori Choice School)
15225 98 Ave., Surrey, BC
Ms. Cheryl Rutherford, Principal